Volunteer Coordinator - America's Second Harvest
America’s Second Harvest of Coastal Georgia, headquartered in Savannah, GA serves as the food safety net for tens of thousands of children, senior citizens, low-income families, and people with disabilities that are at-risk for hunger throughout southeastern Georgia. We partner with over 275 faith based organizations and non-profit agencies to provide emergency food assistance across Coastal Georgia in twenty-one counties. Last year, Second Harvest provided more than 14 million pounds of food to hungry people in our 21 county service area through a variety of programs. We are currently hiring for the following full time, non-exempt position:
Reports to Chief Operations Officer
RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES: Responsible for recruiting, coordinating and training volunteers. Increase volunteer hours by scheduling volunteer groups. Maintain positive rapport with all individuals and organizations who donate their time and abilities to the Food Bank. This position requires Saturdays, occasional evenings and flexible availability.
A. Volunteer Training:
1. Volunteers Recruitment
a) Organizations – Coordinate with local organizations such as churches, volunteer groups, or local businesses to generate interest.
b) Individuals – Promote volunteer interest among singular individuals, as some tasks only require individual assistance and not group projects.
2. Task Assignment – Design specific tasks for volunteers to complete with the objective that each task improves productivity, efficiency, output, and delivery of Food Bank product, facility, programs, and agency relationships. Ensure that each task to be performed by the volunteer best fits their skills and abilities.
3. Task Aid – Streamline the execution of volunteer tasks through demonstration, preparation, job aids and personal availability.
1. Maintain Calendar - Schedule and coordinate volunteer activities and input information into Volunteer Calendar.
2. Maintain Volunteer Hours – Keep track of volunteer monthly totals.
a) Individual Volunteers – Ensure that volunteers have signed in appropriately under correct program.
b) Volunteer Groups – Account for total hours combined provided by group volunteers.
c) Community Service – Verify with Office Manager monthly total community service hours.
e) Event Volunteers – Ensure event volunteer participants are credited with hours. (See Development Director).
3. Mailings – Set up monthly mailings to be mailed out to potential monthly food distribution participants.
1. Monthly Report - Enter monthly volunteer totals into Monthly Report Spreadsheet.
2. Volunteer Sign in - Document volunteer activities such as sign-in sheets and photographs of the group.
3. Presentations - Create and implement presentations for recruiting volunteer participation.
4. Supplies – Maintain supplies required to assist volunteers to perform various activities safely, properly, and effectively.
D. Food Drive Coordination
Recruitment - Public contact for setting up community food drives.
Logistics - Work with warehouse/operations staff for timely delivery and pick-up of barrels/information.
Follow Up – Track and send recognition letters to participating organizations
Effective Communicator - Maintain positive working relationships with all volunteers in an effort to grow the amount of hours donated by each group. Actively pursue organizations and individuals to fill volunteer shifts throughout every week at the Food Bank. Have ability to understand the skill and ability of each volunteer individual and apply those abilities to the benefit of the Food Bank.
Operations – Must have key understanding of product regulations: quality and quantity to ensure appropriate handling of products distributed by Food Bank.
Scheduling - Maintain accurate schedules of all volunteer dates and hours.
Maintain Food Bank Volunteer calendar.
Computer Skills - Ability to use Microsoft Office programs.
Bachelor’s degree in related field or commensurate experience
Georgia driver’s license with clean DMV record
Excellent people/communication skills
Effective time manager
Interested candidates should email or mail a copy of their letter of interest, resume and salary requirements to:
Human Resources Manager
2501 E President St
Savannah GA 31404
Apply for this position using the contact information below.